Monday 29 October 2012

Island time...........



Frangapani - my favourite flower.

Kia Orana!

Feet now firmly on  the ground!  Back into familiar routines.............family life.

Five days in Rarotonga went by so quickly.  I missed my family - more than I imagined I would.

It was interesting watching frazzled parents on the plane and around the island with their wee ones, hot, tired and a little stressed.  I wondered if I look like that when juggling little ones and travel.

I loved my time away, but it really made me realise how much I LOVE and appreciate my family. Mr H truly stepped up and was indeed super mum while I was away.



It has been about eight years since I was last in Rarotonga and it really has'nt changed much.  It is a beautiful island.  Surrounded by a coral reef, it makes it a safe place for children to swim and a perfect place to snorkel.


 
 
As soon as I got to the resort I swapped my warm weather clothes for a sun dress and headed for the pool bar to have a cocktail.  I spent the rest of the afternoon there being lazy and reading.  Ah reading............. I read two books and loads of magazines while I was away.  Bliss!
 

 
 
Here is my breakfast view!




And yes - I did take these photos.  Looking at them now, it looks like they are out of a travel brochure.  No photo shop here I swear!
 


I caught the Island bus which does a full circle of the Island, a great way to see all of the beautiful beaches and my favourite - swaying palm trees.


 
 
The town centre is small but had some great shops and cafes.  I was dying to try the local favourite Ika Mata which is raw fish marinated in lime or lemon juice then mixed in with coconut milk.  Had a huge bowl of this at the popular Trader Jacks - this was my favourite dish eaten on the Island by far!
 
 

 
 
There are still beautiful old buildings left over from the missionary days.
 

 
 
And of course - the main reason for my visit was for the wedding of my childhood friend Daniela.  We have known each other since before school.  Her husband was bought up in Rarotonga and it was important they married there so his grandmother could attend.  It was such a beautiful ceremony.  Daniela and Rob have been together twelve years and also have a beautiful wee boy Kianu.



There was an Island feast, and traditional Cook Island dancers, a fire dancer and lots and lots of singing and entertainment.  I loved catching up with Daniela's family again too, we have'nt seen each other for years.  We are now a little older and all with our own families now.

What an amazing day!

I can't wait to return to Rarotonga again soon, this time with Mr H (and MAYBE the kiddies)!









6 comments:

  1. Wow, proper paradise! I'm going to a spa with a friend in a few weeks, she's treating me! I feel so lucky, a whole 2 days to myself, I will miss them, but I am so ready for a mini break! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh beautiful. One day i will visit those tropical white sand beaches ...one day..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a beautiful spot! My list of places I want to travel to is getting longer and longer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunning and peaceful looking getaway..beautiful place for a wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful setting for a wedding. Sounds like a relaxing break away from the everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect setting for a wedding! It looks like you had a wonderful time in the sunshine.
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...