Tuesday 15 October 2013

Op shop show off..........Harrods tins







When I first moved to London, one of the first places on my "must see" list was Harrods.  I only knew of a few people who had ever been and was envious of their Harrods shopping bags that they carted back with them.

I lived in London for 5 years and made lots of visits, sometimes for hours at a time, stopping only briefly for tea and cakes in one of the many cafes before moving onto the next floor.  I often took goodies home from the Food Hall along with a shopping bag or two that I still use and a couple of tea towels.  On one of my last visits before we moved back to NZ (5 years ago now, time flies) I bought the two cream coloured Harrods tins as mementos.

Since being back I have come across the 3 green tins, ranging from 50cents to $1.50.  I always keep an eye out for them and am hoping to add to my (nana) collection.  I have them displayed (gathering dust) on the top shelf in our kitchen.  I love looking at them as they always bring back great memories of my time in London and that treasure trove in Kensington........Harrods.
 
Have you been to Harrods? What did you buy?  Were you blown away by the food hall and the people watching?
 

Found anything great lately? Pop over and share it with Max.
 




11 comments:

  1. I love those tins...they would be great for storing pantry odds and ends.
    I love Harrods...I could spend hours wandering in there, looking at things and people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to Harrods but it sounds so lovely! Your tins are awesome! I am a huge fan of tins of any kind and the fact that yours have sentimental value makes them a huge score! I like to reuse my tins around the holidays to pass on to neighbors with treats for the season as well as display them on my shelves. Great finds you! Hope you and the kids have a wonderful week! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to Harrods several times, but the only momento I have is a shopping bag. Great collection of tins you have there, especially the op shop ones. Happy hunting for things. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to Harrods once and could have spent hours in there, but we were on a tight schedule so only spent an hour having a look around and we left without buying anything! The white cylinder in your collection is my absolute favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall keep my eyes peeled for good ones, i do often see them around. I used to go to Harrod's once a year as part of the annual school trip to London, after the natural History museum etc but only ever bought Harrod's labelled pencils. When i go back now i like to visit Liberty for a dept. store fix!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been twice, the food hall is AMAZING. Last time I went I saw that ghastly tribute to Diana and Dodi, thankfully now gone. Great tins...especially for those prices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tins - am loving the rectangular one. Marks and Spencers also make great tins, especially in the run up to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My only Harrods memory is of my dad receiving a gift of candied ginger from Grandma she visited...the thing is, my dad can't stand ginger! Great for a laugh though. FYI, have just found a couple great pieces for the linen swap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was there about 20 years ago - the food hall was amazing. I bought a Harrods commemorative tin with sweets in it and some Harrods Golf Tees - 5p each. From memory I think the ladies restroom were pretty nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have been to harrods. i was blown away for sure. so many dfferent themes happening. i dont think we bought anything as we were poor backpackers at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been to Harrods though that was back in 1995! I brought home a Paddington Bear.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...