Saturday 19 July 2014

Weekend baking

 








 
 
 
 I now do most of my baking in the weekend and tend to bake more in Winter.  I like to hide out in the kitchen Saturday and Sunday afternoons, while the kids are outside running around, tucked up inside playing or watching a movie.

Today was grey and a little bleak, and with heaving fruit trees over the fence it was time to get into the kitchen for a bit of baking time.

Tom was keen to help out so we made an Orange sponge cake with surprise.......orange icing along with currant and citrus biscuits.  Both recipes we used were just a basic sponge and biscuit recipe that I changed a little and I needed to use currants as I seem to have two bags of them in the cupboard.

 Bell is at her cousins tonight and the boys are in bed early.  Mr H and I are working our way through the "Breaking Bad" series on DVD so we will watch that this evening while enjoying a takeaway Curry.

Sunday I'm hoping to do a bit of over due tidying in the garden, blitz the housework and make sure everyone is sorted for going back to kindy and school on Monday.

Hope you are having a good weekend where you are. xo



 

19 comments:

  1. The orange tree sure is laden with fruit.
    Maybe you could preserve some as orange extract. This recipe looks easy and would make great gifts- http://www.spoonforkbacon.com/2012/12/homemade-extracts/
    Hope you're having a lovely weekend.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely, busy, productive weekend. How amazing to have an orange tree on your garden! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous orange tree - we struggle to grow citrus over here. We have some in versaile planters at work, we have to put them in a glasshouse over winter. Just about kills us to shift them. Some big posh houses had orangeries - there is a vinery at the museum. Growing dessert grapes under glass was showing off to your edwardian mates on a grand scale - like having a bentley parked in the drive. Cake looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember visiting the Orangerie at Hampton Court Palace. Citrus grows really well in these parts - most gardens have some type of citrus. this one is over the fence but we are able to help ourselves! xo

      Delete
  4. that tree is dripping! I need to ask my neighbour for grapefruit from their laden tree too. I really want your tea cosie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This tea cosy is unbelievably thick and honestly keeps the tea warm for hours xo

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a lovely weekend. I usually do my baking at the weekend too.
    That tree is gorgeous, as is the view and of course your boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely weekend. I usually do my baking at the weekend too.
    The tree is gorgeous, as is the view and of course your boy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all looks delicious and you have so many oranges on your tree!!! You will be making lots more orangey things I guess! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really would love such a laden citrus tree! That all looks so delicious! It's making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. de-lish. That tree is laden…spectacular as always x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at all those oranges - try making orange and lemon curd too ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curd is definitely on my list, will have to try making some this weekend xo

      Delete
  11. Wow, that tree is incredible - you lucky duck! Your cake and biscuits look delicious. How good is Breaking Bad!? I think I watched the entire 6 seasons in about 2 weeks flat which involved some very late nights and slow starts the next day but I just had to see how it all turned out :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Breaking Bad. It is turning out to be our Saturday evening viewing once the kids are in bed. That and a takeaway curry xo

      Delete
  12. Hey you!!! Holy cow do those baked goods look delicious!!! I would love the recipes as they look completely divine! And could that tree be any cooler?!?! It is stunning in all of it's orange glory!!! Wishing you a great week back in the routine! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmm noms! Those trees... envious!!! hope you guys have some lovely clear days this week x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your winter weekends sound so much like mine! Baking, a takeaway, a good DVD boxset... I love the look of the orange cake, drenched in icing (yum) and I just can't believe how much fruit you have on that tree!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...